Friday, July 30, 2010

Trust

To be honest I'm not sure where this blog is going on trust. I have had to trust and place my trust in the hands of many people here. Taxi drivers and motorcycle taxi drivers, have gotten me to every destination I have asked. Even when they couldn't understand what I was saying. I have not ever felt like I was cheated or have been conned. In fact, when I get in a Taxi I often feel relieved, knowing that I'm getting home or to the Sky train without having to figure out the bus system or the map. 7-11 clerks, they help put minutes on my cell phone. The directions are in Thai, so it can be hard to figure out. But, I ask for help and they just do it for me. Even if the store is really busy and there are people everywhere. On a side note about 7-11 there are over 3,000 7-11s in Thailand, kind of like Starbucks. There is one on every corner and across the street from each other they are everywhere.

It has been hard to trust sometimes and a little scary too. I grew up in Denver and knew the city like the back of my hand. I spoke the language too. I could be very independent. I didn't need Taxi drivers or 7-11 clerks or anybody help me do simple tasks like getting to work or placing minutes on my cell phone. I could do it all by myself. Here I find myself humbled by the people, who don't know me and don't speak my language, but are willing to go out of their way to help me. Like the security guard at the mall who helped me get a taxi at the loading dock. Or the clerk at Big C (think Super Walmart Thai style) who helped me find dish washing soap and dental floss. Everyday I find myself walking about in this big city, often just trusting that people are people and everything is going to be ok. I hope I can remember this feeling of needing others so much when I get home. And I can return the favor to someone else who needs to trust people.

No comments: